Australian Visas

Australian Visas – Information

The Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship offers Australian visas and information especially for students.

Some useful links are provided on this page.

This webpage gives the requirements for international students.

It explains that parents or relatives can apply for a visa to stay in the country if they are the guardian of a student who is going to study.

Australian Student Visa Information

The Department of Immigration also provides the application forms for student visas online.

However, they warn that if you file your student e-Visa application when you are outside Australia, you must also be outside Australia for the visa to be granted.

For online applications, go to:

Apply for Australian Student Visa Online

The Study in Australia webpage provides more information on the different types or subclasses of student visas.

They warn that the rules have recently changed, so you need to read the visa information carefully.

Visa Requirements

Student Visas for Australia

Eligibility for Australian student visas is the responsibility of the Australian authorities, who will assess you for your student visa according to your passport country.

They will also consider whether you are studying an English language course or for a higher degree.

If you are enrolled on a university degree programme, you will get a student visa that is designed for international students applying to study for one of the following:

  • Bachelor’s Degree
  • Associate’s Degree
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Graduate Diploma
  • Masters of Arts, Science or Education

You will need to apply for a student visa if it is the first time you will have studied in this country.

You will also need to complete the necessary visa documents again if you want to renew your student visa.

You can also apply for a visa if you are the spouse of a person who is already studying.

When applying for a student visa, you will have to pay a non-refundable application fee when you file your student visa application.

When you receive your student visa, you can remain in the country during your studies.

Visas for Family Members

Your immediate family members can join you, and you and your family members can then ask for permission to work.

Your spouse can also study for up to three months by using your student visa.

However, if your spouse wants to study for more than three months, he or she must apply for his or her own student visa.

For further advice on your studies, as well as study tips, please click on the links below:

Australian Universities

Books for Exam Preparation