You will need to practice with some IELTS listening exercises if you are going to take the exam.
That is because both the IELTS Academic and General Training Modules have a listening test.
Instructions: Please click on the link below in order to hear the recording. Listen to the recording once and while you do so, answer the questions below. Then check your answers in the next section.
© Academic Success Media.
COPYING THE MATERIAL ON THIS WEBSITE IS NOT PERMITTED.
1) Which of the following statements best reflects the views that most farmers have on organic farming?
a. It is more expensive, but can still be profitable.
b. It can be extremely cost effective.
c. It is impossible to save money with organic farming techniques.
2) Why is organic farming better for the environment than conventional farming?
a. Its farming methods do not involve the use of chemicals.
b. It limits the use of synthetic materials.
c. It cannot be used with grains, meat, eggs, and milk.
3) Which one of the following statements about the certification process is true?
a. Most farmers fail to get certification.
b. The public is concerned about the way that the Department of Agriculture manages the process.
c. It is rigorous and demanding.
4) Why are some consumers still concerned about organic food?
a. Because it contains high levels of chemicals and bacteria
b. Because they think it may not be safe to eat
c. Because its production methods are inefficient
5) How does organic farming make habitats richer for animals?
a. It prohibits the use of chemicals which means that there are more kinds of species.
b. Its processes help to kill insects that can harm the environment.
c. Its limited use of pesticide helps to increase wildlife.
Answers to the Listening Exercise
Here are the answers to the listening sample, with excerpts from the recording and explanations.
(1) Answer B is correct. Answer B states that organic farming can be extremely cost effective. The recording states that “farmers have realised that organic farming is an incredibly cost-effective method”. The phrase “extremely cost effective” from answer B is synonymous with “an incredibly cost-effective method” from the recording.
(2) Answer A is correct. Answer A states that its farming methods do not involve the use of chemicals. The recording mentions that “chemicals and synthetic medicines are prohibited.” The phrase “do not involve the use of” from answer A means “prohibited”.
Note that answer B is not the correct answer because synthetic materials are prohibited, not limited.
(3) Answer C is correct. The recording explains that “the certification process is a stringent one”. Answer C states that it is rigorous and demanding. “Stringent” is synonymous with “rigorous” from answer choice C.
(4) Answer B is correct. The lecturer says that “some people remain concerned about the safety of organic food.” Answer B says that they think it may not be safe to eat. The phrase “it may not be safe to eat” from answer B means the same thing as “concerned about the safety of organic food” from the lecture.
(5) Answer A is correct. The lecturer states that “organic farms contain more species of plants, birds, and insects due to . . . the absence of chemicals.” Answer A says that it prohibits the use of chemicals which means that there are more kinds of species. “Contain more species” means the same thing as “more kinds of species”.
Improve your Listening Skills for the Exam
Improve your listening skills for the exam with our study guide:
Listening Exam Format and Tips
For format of the listening test is very similar for the Academic and General Training Modules.
At the section at the top of this page, you will see a free listening sample test.
The actual listening test will have conversations, dialogues and lectures which will be pre-recorded and re-played during the exam.
The listening test will have speakers of English from around the world, who will speak with different accents.
The accents may be those of native or non-native speakers of English.
You will be allowed to have a look through the exam questions before you hear the recording.
Be ready when the recording starts, however, because you will hear the excerpts one time only.
The listening test is usually 30 to 40 minutes long.
The listening test has 4 parts and there will be 40 total questions.
You will get ten more minutes when the test finishes to write your answers on the answer paper.
Our test practice materials are like those you will see on the real exam.